How AVMS Strives to be Bully Free
Preventing bullying / cyber bullying by educating students about what it is and how to prevent it.
- Create a positive school culture through our school wide implementation of PBIS which includes a unit on bullying.
- Beginning of the year assembly by assistant principal which addresses bullying and its consequences.
- Counseling lessons later in the year by our counselor exclusively on the topic of bullying.
- Blue Ribbon Week
Definition of Bullying from Board Policy – BP 5141(d)
Bullying shall mean unwelcome, pervasive, and/or severe verbal, written, or physical conduct directed at a student or staff member by a student or staff member that has the effect of any or all of the following:
- Creating an intimidating and/or hostile environment that substantially interferes with a student’s educational opportunities or the ability of a staff member to perform his or her duties;
- Damaging, extorting, or taking a student or a staff member’s personal property;
- Placing a student or staff member in reasonable fear of physical, emotional, or mental harm;
- Placing a student or staff member in reasonable fear of damage to, or loss of, personal property.
How to Report Bullying.
- See Something, Say Something
- Incident Report Form in the office
- Conversation or email to staff
- Referral from staff member who witnessed event
Assistant Principal and/or Counselor investigate incident.
- Ensure all parties are familiar with board policy 5141(d) as it relates to bullying
- Follow up with concerned party and discuss results of investigation
Assign appropriate consequences which may include but not limited to:
- Situation logged in discipline file
- Bully complaint report completed
- Situation logged in Bully Log filed both at school and at the District Office
- Conflict Mediation
- Detention, Suspension, Involuntary Transfer, Expulsion
- Behavior Contract
- Notify School Resource Officer